The beauty of temporary tattoos is that they’re temporary! You can change up your temporary tattoos to match your outfit, your mood, or even to fit your schedule.
There are a few tricks you can use to ensure your tattoos go on smooth and are easy to remove when you’re ready for a change. Here are the tips you’ll need to apply and remove temporary tattoos like a pro.
Temporary Tattoo Application
- First cut out the temporary tattoo if it is part of a larger sheet of designs. Cut as close to the artwork as possible.
- Grab a washcloth and run it under water so it is damp, not dripping.
- Then carefully select an area for your tattoo, avoiding places with excessive hair or where your skin sweats or stretches too much. Before application, make sure the skin is clean, dry and free of oils or makeup.
- When you’re ready to apply the design, remove the clear top sheet from the tattoo and position the tattoo on the skin.
- Press the tattoo firmly onto the skin with the design facing down. Then hold the damp washcloth against the back of the tattoo. Press down.
- Dab the washcloth against the tattoo to saturate the entire paper backing. Continue to dab and press for a full thirty seconds. Don’t hurry!
- Very gently peel off the backing paper by taking hold of one corner first and slowly and smoothly peeling the paper away from your skin. Let the area dry completely.
You’ve just expertly applied a temporary tattoo. Now go show off your design to your friends!
Temporary Tattoo Removal
Keep in mind that quality temporary tattoos are designed to withstand soap and water, so have these tattoo removal options handy when you’re ready for a change. Depending on how long you’ve worn your temporary tattoo, there are two options for removal. Both options are outlined below:
Tattoos Worn Six Hours or Longer
You’ll need a cotton ball and either rubbing alcohol, baby oil, or hand sanitizer.
- First saturate the cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, baby oil, or hand sanitizer.
- Wait ten seconds and then gently rub away the tattoo with the cotton ball.
- Rinse clean with water.
Tattoos Worn for Less Than Six Hours
Tattoos worn for less than six hours can be removed using several pieces of household tape to lift the tattoo off of the skin.
- Apply the transparent household tape to the temporary tattoo
- Press down firmly on the tape, then lift up.
- Repeat this process until the tattoo is fully removed.
Do you have any tips for how to successfully apply and remove temporary tattoos? We want to hear your great ideas in the comments below.